- Possible Danger – Present possible danger and consequences. Then have the MC ignore it or think it can’t happen to them
- Lurking Danger – A threat exists that reader knows about, but MC doesn’t – usually only works with multiple POV
- Big Moment Trouble – Present a situation that everyone knows needs to happen, but we don’t know if the MC will be able to get there – plan gone wrong – flat tire on way to big interview
- Moral Dilemma / Decision – Force MC to make a difficult decision with huge and terrible stakes – usually a no win situation
- Closing Doors – Make the MC close doors the reader knows MC will need later on
- Keeping Secrets – Character keeps secrets that create danger/problems for MC or someone else we want to succeed
Okay, that’s a poor example, but I think it gets the point across. Character closes a door that the reader knew needed to stay open. The reason you have to use this technique with skill is because the reader has to feel the problem building even though the character doesn’t quite get it.